Erectile dysfunction is much more common than we think but is still difficult for men and their partners. Afraid to talk about it, shame, questioning his virility, afraid to consult, erectile dysfunction is still badly experienced by men who suffer from it.
If this is your case, know that solutions exist and that erectile disorders are often transient. We will advise you, guide you but also reassure you that you find a fulfilling sexuality.
Some statistics on erectile dysfunction
Do you have erectile dysfunction? Know that you are not alone, far from it. We must first understand what is meant by erectile dysfunction is also known today as erectile dysfunction.
An erection disorder is characterized by a difficulty or even total impossibility to have or maintain an erection that will be sufficient to have a satisfactory sexual intercourse and to penetrate his partner for a long time. Erectile dysfunction can be occasional, regular or permanent.
Here are some statistics to know:
- 20% of erectile dysfunction has a psychological origin
- 80% of erectile disorders have a medical origin
- Only 25% of men who suffer from erectile dysfunction consult a doctor
- 80% of people who suffer from it would like to see a doctor but do not take the step, often ashamed
- More than 3 million men in France suffer from erectile dysfunction
- 1 in 3 men experience after 40 years of occasional erectile dysfunction
- 1 in 2 men after 60 years suffer from erectile dysfunction
- 40% of men admit having had an erection disorder at least once in their life
- 70% of men are affected by erectile dysfunction after 70 years
- As you can see, the statistics speak for themselves. No, you are not the only one with erectile dysfunction and as you can see, it can happen at any age.
Common problem, a taboo subject
As we have just seen, erectile dysfunction is much more common than we think. But as much as men in our time have no trouble talking about sexuality as erectile disorders are a taboo subject.
The man with this type of problem is in pain and ashamed. Because it’s a taboo subject but also because few men know that erectile dysfunction is a common disorder.
The stereotype of the effective and sexually successful man is in this case disturbed. He will feel devalued, diminished with the feeling of being in check and no longer being a man, a real one. If you suffer from erectile dysfunction, tell yourself that this happens to all men and that there are solutions.
Talk to your doctor. He will not judge you because he knows how common these troubles are. He will be there to understand and find a solution with you.
Make the difference between sexual breakdown and impotence
They are often confused and yet they are very distinct. We talk about a sexual breakdown when the inability to have a satisfactory erection is punctual or occasional. The term impotence is used when the problem persists beyond 6 months.
Causes of erectile dysfunction
There are two main groups of causes of erectile dysfunction: physiological and psychological. We explain them in detail:
Erection disorders of physiological origin
- Vascular, venous or arterial disorders are a cause of erectile dysfunction. High blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, diabetes are part of it.
- The medications and treatments you are taking are also being blamed. This is particularly the case of antidepressants, antipsychotics, anti-epilepsy treatments, antihypertensives and some anti-anxiety medications.
- Smoking is one of the main causes. Why? Because smoking aggravates hypertension and arteriosclerosis.
- Ablation of the prostate during a cancer of the same name may be responsible for erectile dysfunction.
- An abnormal curvature of the penis (Peyronie’s Disease)
- Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury (paraplegia for example)
Erection disorders of psychological origin
- Performance anxiety and fear of not being able to have or maintain an erection
- Problems in your relationship
- Some sexual lassitude
- Hostility towards his partner
- A period of stress
- Financial problems
- A job loss
- Family worries
- Withdrawal of alcohol or drugs
The impact of erectile dysfunction on the life of a couple
For a man, having erectile dysfunction is what can happen to him worse or almost. Every man reacts differently when that happens. Some, wounded in their pride, will persevere hoping at all costs to get there. Others will fall back on themselves and not talk about it.
These two attitudes will only aggravate the situation. The only way to overcome the crisis is to talk to your partner about it. Erectile dysfunction is difficult for both partners and may be subject to arguments.
Your partner will think that she is no longer attractive, that you do not want her anymore and may even think that you have a mistress. As for you, you will blame yourself because you will think that you can no longer satisfy your partner sexually.
So that the subject is not subject to arguments, so that you do not feel that you both feel responsible, it is important to talk about it together. If you have erectile dysfunction, you should explain to your partner that she is not responsible for it.
If your partner has this type of disorder, it is important to play down the situation. Do not minimize the disorder or display detachment or even disinterest. It is important to reassure your partner and talk about it. If the situation lasts, you can offer to go to see a sexologist.
When someone is suffering from erectile dysfunction, it is neither his fault nor that of his partner. It is important to never forget that. So is the survival of your couple.
Indeed, sexual disorders are responsible for many divorces and ruptures. It is therefore essential to talk to your partner and consult a doctor promptly if the situation lasts.
Do not hesitate to talk to your doctor
Beyond 3 months of erectile dysfunction, you should think to consult your doctor so that a diagnosis is made. Nothing prevents you from consulting before, know it.
Your GP is the first person to see. It will review your general health status and determine whether the causes of erectile dysfunction are physiological or psychological.
Depending on his diagnosis, he will prescribe a treatment himself or advise you to consult a urologist or a sexologist. Know that both have the habit of treating patients with erectile dysfunction. So do not be stressed and most importantly, do not be ashamed to talk about it. Remember that you are the only man to have this kind of trouble, quite the contrary!
The best solutions against erectile dysfunction
If erectile dysfunction is of medical origin, it is, of course, important to treat it first. This is particularly the case during high blood pressure or during diabetes.
Also, know that talking to your partner or doctor can in some cases unlock the situation. If erectile dysfunction is still present after 3 months, treatment may be prescribed.
But it is important to know that for a treatment to work, there must be sexual desire. The treatment does not replace the desire and whatever it is, there will be no erection if there is no desire.
There are several treatments to treat erectile dysfunction:
Everyone knows the famous little blue pill called Viagra. But this is not the only treatment prescribed to treat erectile dysfunction, far from it. Other drugs highly prescribed for their effectiveness include Levitra and Spedra.
Levitra is a medicine to take 30 minutes with intercourse. Its role is to relax the muscles of the penile arteries. This will increase the flow of blood and allow erection on the condition that there is sexual stimulation.
Spedra is very popular for its speed of action. The first effects do indeed appear after 15 minutes after taking the tablet. It is advisable for men who want to enjoy a greater spontaneity with their partner.
But others are also gaining their share of the market: Caverject, Sildenafil, Tadalafil, Priligy, Male Extra
Creams or Intra Urethral Treatment
Among the most prescribed creams to cure erectile dysfunction, Vitaros is in a good position. This local treatment applies just before sexual intercourse. It is in the form of a drop of cream to be applied in the urethral meatus. It is often prescribed to men who do not want treatment in tablets or in the form of bites.
Penile or intra-cavernous injection
This treatment is often prescribed to men who do not support or do not want tablets or creams. It is issued only on prescription. It involves injecting a medicine on one side of the penis.
It works by relaxing the muscles of the arteries of the penis to increase the inflow of blood in only 5 to 20 minutes. Penile injection is effective in 85% of men.
When traditional treatments do not work to cure erectile dysfunction or are unsuitable, your doctor may recommend a mechanical device. The role of the penis rings is to tighten the base of the penis to maintain an erection.
The vacuum pump can also be recommended. Also called a vacuum, it will create a vacuum in a cylinder that is positioned around the penis. This will result in an erection that will be maintained by an elastic compression ring, slipped to the base of the penis.
Passive Erection Disorders: Natural Treatments
Some natural treatments can be a real boost. They will not treat your erectile dysfunction like drugs but can either prevent them or help you regain a fulfilling sex life.
For occasional sexual breakdowns here are some plants that can help you :
- Ginseng: opt for the Panax variety
- Muira puame: well known for its aphrodisiacs
- Oats: recommended for its virtues on quality, triggering and duration of erections
- Ginko is a popular plant for its circulatory virtues
- Yohimbine: it is a bark recognized for its stimulating properties
Natural, homeopathy can give you the little boost you need:
Caladium: especially recommended for smokers, it is recommended for men who have weak erections despite a strong desire
Lycopodium Clavat is recommended for people who are overweight or obese and who have erectile dysfunction.
It is increasingly used to treat erectile dysfunction and is often recommended by doctors and sexologists. This technique can help you manage the stress and discomfort caused by erectile dysfunction by making you regain your self-confidence. It can also as sessions allow men to regain a full sex life and without erectile dysfunction.
Some general tips to avoid erection problems
- Make sure to eat varied and balanced
- Do not eat fats, cheeses, sweets and dairy products
- Prefer foods that are rich in trace elements selenium, zinc and vitamins C and E such as green vegetables, fish, seafood, citrus fruits, red berries, garlic or whole grains.
- Think about raising your recipes with pepper, nutmeg, mustard seeds, cinnamon and ginger.
- At the end of the meal, opt for a coffee or dark chocolate or green tea with mint that stimulate the desire
- Practice a regular activity. It should not be too intense because in this case, it could have the opposite effect
- Get enough sleepAvoid any source of stress
- Limit your alcohol consumption and stop smoking
- Lose a few pounds if you’re overweight
- Try not to focus on your erectile dysfunction because the more you think about it and the more the problem persists
- Remember, you are not the only man with erectile dysfunction
By applying these tips, you put every chance on your side to either prevent erectile dysfunction or reduce it. These are habits or tips that are easy to apply, but whose positive effects can help you regain a normal sex life.